Can Baby Consume Honey?

Can Baby Consume Honey?

Honey is indeed a good drink for health. Therefore, since a long time ago, there have been mothers who gave honey to their babies. Actually honey is one type of drink that should not be given to babies whose age is still under 1 year or 12 months. You can learn more about it by visiting our website and don’t forget to check our bee decorations!

Clostridium bacteria that cause botulism in babies contaminate certain types of food, especially like honey. Botulism in infants themselves can cause muscle weakness, characterized by crying and the ability to suck weak milk, constipation, to decrease overall muscle tone (floppiness).

How can botulism occur in babies just by consuming honey? This happens because honey, though very rare, is contaminated with bacteria and Clostridium botulinum spores.

These bacteria and spores are known to cause rare food poisoning or botulism. If the baby has botulism, symptoms will appear that generally appear around 8 to 36 hours after drinking or eating honey.

Contact your doctor immediately if the baby shows the following symptoms after you give honey to the baby:

Constipation
Weak or lethargic
Decreased appetite
Although this condition is quite rare, you still need to be vigilant. Actually, you can prevent or reduce the risk of botulism that might attack your child by not introducing it to honey, including foods and drinks that contain honey.

At least until your child is 1 year old because at the age of more than 12 months your child can actually receive so many benefits of honey that are good for his body.

Not only botulism, but the reason why honey should not be given to babies under 1 year is also the occurrence of tooth growth damage. Consumption of honey in infants under 12 months is not uncommon to make your child fond of sweet foods. To make baby food taste better, you are advised to replace honey with fruit puree, dried fruit, or mashed bananas that have a naturally sweet taste. Natural sweeteners that are safe for babies also contain lots of minerals and vitamins that are very important for your child’s growth.